Sunday, August 24, 2008

Cab Drivers, and tight fits.

Greetings once again from the Makati Shang ri La. Sorry its been so long since the last post. I would like to discuss my weekend activities:

Saturday- I get off work at 7 AM, and proceed to watch cartoons with Ben and Adam trying to make plans for the day, we all get sleepy before we can get tipsy and go back to our respective rooms to pass out. Sleep till 7 PM.... perfect, we've wasted the day. Adam and I proceed to call anyone and everyone trying to put a group together to go to dinner. Everyone is already at their activities already so we head to the Hard Rock Cafe. We are just in time to listen to "k NU" this local band that "covers 80's songs" or so our waiter says. Their set list ranges from Beatles, to one great smiths cover. (the guys voice is awesome so i can forgive him for playing crap songs) this is followed by a band of girls who our waiter described to Adam as "They sexy!" We didn't stick around to find out.

Cut to the hotel:

We finally track down Ben and head to the bar, WOOOT! The bar we go to is an outside cafe and we sit down at one of the crowded but OBVIOUSLY fun patio tables and order our drinks. The music is blaring and the people are staring. (the three of us are probably the palest people in the city next to EO) Anyway, as we are sitting at the table Ben and I are dancing in our seats while girls stare at him, I notice this guy across from us pretty much staring at me like I'm a Kearsten k'Bo b (awkard I know) he would be cute if he didn't look like a spanish backstreet boy: his facial hair is a thick chin strap, his hair is gelled and spiked, and his white 'blouse' is unbottoned to his belly......"he sexy". He begins to dance in time with me from across the table, and blowing smoke rings with his Huka Smoke.... "puuuurrrr?" I pretty much keep my head down from then on. Adam and Ben just make fun of me. I wanted to go 80's dance but everything was Salsa or rap and I was tired again so we went back to the hotel and said our goodnights. I sleep so well here.

Sunday--- More counterfeit awesomeness

Lindsay, Ben, Danielle, Adam and I are all ready to go, we want to buy stuff that will make the boys down the hall from us at work Cry in outrage! The cabs here are cheap as dirt, but they are about the size of the average 4 door civic, so we split up. Adam and I in 1 cab, the other three in another. Our cab ride there is like any other drive in this city--- SCARY AS SHIT! The lines in between the lanes are more like guidelines and we are nearly missing buses and cars and everyone is honking, its like a death match between cars and busses and children trying to sell flowers int he street. SCARE-EEEE! Anyway after 20 death defying minutes, Adam and I arrive at the mall, and we are trying to pay the driver.
Adam asks "Is it 117?" The driver stares straight ahead and HONKS!
Adam and I look around and he asks again "is it 117?"
HONK!HONK!
Once again we look at eachother completely confused, people are staring, Adam hands him 120 and says "Do we get out here?"
HONK!
We take this to mean yes and I try the door. Forgetting that the drivers here lock us in for our protection, I cannot open the door.
HONK!
I finally say "we can't get out" So the driver gets out to open the door and immediately gets back in.
"Thank you" Adam mutters.
HONK!HONK! the driver replies, nearly driving away before the door is closed.

This is Cab Experience 1 for the day.

We spend the afternoon shopping, and making fools of ourselves as we look through the stacks of things ooohing and aaaahing.
At the end of the day we are exhausted and ready for our massages (yes we are sooo unfortunate) We do not want to risk losing each other again, so we flag down yet another civic size death wagon, also known as a cab and what do we do?
We ALLLLL pile in. Lindsay in the front, Danielle, Ben, Adam and I in the back wrapped in yoga positions around each other, and lets not forget our bags :).
This obviously turns the death trap vehicle into a hot, go cart of pain! And the worst game of corners one could ever hope to endure. I kind of like our outtings :).


I miss home, I miss my friends and my family. Mostly my brothers, but I am having a good time out here and I hope I can have some more awesome adventures to share with you.

If you are reading this--- SEND CHOCOLATE!!!


Song of the day- "Bones of You" by Elbow.


xoxo-Dot


2 comments:

the shark said...

WOWEEEE! those are quite the cab rides! sound fun though :P i'd ride in them all the time! and i got zoe a movie so when i take her that i'll give your parents some chocolate to send too. ;)

glad to here your ok

nettiez52 said...

i just read all your blogs...sheeesh sounds like youare having FUN? i wanna come too and ride in the cab with tooter the horn, then i wanna chair dance with a memember of the mafia..then i wanna play "bump n grind" in the marketplace with picker the pocket (he sexy)
seriously tho..be safe!
and i think that your chocolate would be MIA if i sent it, i KNOW the postal system.lol